Hello CBC Supporters,
Hopefully everyone receiving this email has signed the online petition at our website to preserve the Chelan Butte and receives our periodic emails providing updates on that project.
Clearly, the effort to preserve the Chelan Butte takes up the majority of our time at this point, but we continue to keep up on our other three focus areas: increasing public access to Lake Chelan, preventing/mitigating aquatic invasive species in Lake Chelan, and protecting the public from lead/arsenic contamination when developing legacy orchard lands.
Some news in these areas include:
- The City of Chelan recently confirmed their intent to complete upgrades to the N. Park Street “pocket park” near Peterson’s Resort this year, hopefully in time for the summer swimming season. Commencement of the upgrades is currently awaiting some permits.
- Last Tuesday, the Director of the City of Chelan Parks & Recreation Department, Paul Horne, confirmed that the City will receive a CD3 waterless boat cleaning system. This will help with the prevention of aquatic invasive species introduction from boats being put into Lake Chelan at the Lakeshore Marina boat ramp. You can learn more about these systems at the CD3 website.
- The Lookout housing development recently requested approval of another 35 residential lots in their Barn District. During the public comment period, the Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE) indicated that the developer must address existing lead and arsenic contamination in the soil prior to building construction. This is the result of a new legacy orchard remediation program finalized by the DOE in 2021 and is the first time the DOE has made this a requirement for the Lookout development. See the DOE’s comment letter here.
Lake Chelan Earth Day Fair! CBC will again have a booth at the Earth Day Fair, which will take place on Saturday April 15th from 10AM to 4PM at Riverwalk Park in Chelan. Our booth will feature:
- A membership and fundraising drive. We will be offering discounted annual memberships of $20 to encourage new members to join. In addition, these new members, and any existing members donating an additional $20, will get a ticket entered into a raffle drawing for a one-night stay at the Sleeping LadyResort in Leavenworth. The Sleeping Lady Resort has again generously donated this item to CBC.
- A Chelan Butte photo video. CBC has been collecting photos of the Chelan Butte from members of the public to put on display online and at our Earth Day booth. Everyone submitting a Chelan Butte photo will be entered into a random prize drawing. Please submit your favorite Chelan Butte photo (one photo per person) to SaveChelanButte@gmail.com.
- We will also have fun buttons promoting the preservation of Chelan Butte, literature about CBC, and CBC board members available to answer your questions.
Hope to see you at the Lake Chelan Earth Day Fair!
Thanks for your support and please contact us if you have any questions or ideas about issues you think we could be addressing.
Brian Patterson – CBC President